Monday, January 31, 2011

How I got my First Science Fiction Magazine

Many years ago--never mind how many--I came across my first science fiction/fantasy magazine. It had been wrapped up with a lot of other magazines in stout wire and deposited at five AM in front of a drug store in San Francisco.
Now at that time I was a paper boy with wire cutters--our papers were delivered in wire bundles.
The covers of the pulp magazines back then were quite enticing to an eleven year old boy. I grabbed one stuffed it into my paper bag and read it later. Too my great disappointment the contents did not match the cover.
But hope springs eternal in a young boy’s breast so I tried it again next month. A strange thing happened. I got to liking the stories.
The third month I actual paid for the magazine.
Now decades later I have traveled with Conan, laughed with Fhfard and the Gray Mouser, Rode Jordan’s wheel of time, De Camped from one universe to the next, and kept an eye out for Boskone.
My children are grown now and I have misplaced my wire cutters but I have a computer. Maybe I can entice a few young men, and women, into a universe were the good guys win.
So different from ours

No comments:

Post a Comment